Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I Don't Understand Idols

This is really about the AKB48 Minami Minegishi scandal.

Let me start off by saying, I don't follow AKB48 religiously, like a fan, or at all. I only like one song. I think their videos are too sexualized as well. I don't know idol culture.

I also don't understand why this whole thing is such a big deal. So, she was caught leaving a man's house. Big deal. We don't even know what went on in the house first of all. Second of all, she's an adult. Everyone is treating her like she's still a 13 year old girl.

I felt very disturbed when I read that AKB48's company is "investigating" the situation, like she's a criminal. The only thing she did wrong, was violate her contract (which is technically illegal).

Visiting a man's house was not wrong.
Acting like an adult was not wrong.
Being human was not wrong.

She was demoted to a trainee, not because she violated her contract, but because she became a nuisance to the fans. I can understand not bringing trouble to the company for causing such an uproar, but being a nuisance to her fans is harsh. Why is there even an uproar?

Why do fans think that because they buy an artist's albums or listen to their music, that they get to control aspects of their life that should be private.

Why blame her for even violating a nonsensical rule in a contract she signed 7 years prior? Why punish her? It gives me the message "You are not your own person, you belong to the fans." Oh, and about shaving her head? It's bullying. She might have done it with her own hands, but amidst this are people saying she's wrong, that she has to be punished for being an adult, that she has to repent.

I applaud Alan Shirahama's company for not getting involved in his personal life.

I wonder if this will cause any lasting trauma for poor Minegishi. I feel sorry for everyone in that group. They aren't humans anymore, they're just products that belong to entitled fans.

~~~
AKB48's Minami Minegishi Spends The Night At GENERATIONS' Alan Shirahama's Home
AKB48's Minami Minegishi Demoted To Trainee, Shaves Head As Punishment For Scandal
AKB48 Theater Manager Answers Questions Regarding Minami Minegishi's Scandal
Alan Shirahama's Agency Releases Statement Regarding Scandal With Minami Minegishi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to ensure no one's comment is overlooked. ^^