Friday, October 7, 2011

Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle First Impression

Finally, the anime i've been waiting for: Phi Brain! However, since I still haven’t fully recovered from my pinched nerve, I’m making this post short.


I love, love, love puzzles, so a puzzle anime was a very nice treat for me. The anime's art is typical shounen, with gravity defying spiky hair and unnecessary extra lines on the face.

The anime wastes no time, and starts right in the middle of an action scene. This part was a little odd, because they never mention how Daimon Kaito manages to get to the mountains to save the large ham, who calls himself the Einstein of the 21st Century. At least we know that it happened the night before.

The opening, Brain Diver by May’n, is rife with effects. It strangely reminds me of the opening to Shinrei Tantei Yakumo, but hopefully Phi Brain won’t suck as much as that anime.

The episode went by fast, which could be an issue as the series progresses. Daimon solves puzzles at the speed of light it seems, and getting a new doohickey that allows him to unlock his brain’s full potential could be trouble for the pacing. I would at least like a minute to see if I could figure out the puzzle myself before it is solved; thank you very much!

The potential love interest, or whatever she is, even though she’s stupid, seems like she could actually be a little useful. I would have liked it if Nonoha was a teensy bit smarter. She nearly got herself killed before they even got to the puzzle that would actually kill them! I know the main character is supposed to save the girl in shounen anime, but must they be so cliché?

Speaking of cliché, his eye glowed red when the gold armlet activated. Yep…a typical shounen anime.

Despite my complaints, I do like the premise of the series. I’m looking forward to the rest, and if they screw it up… I’ll have a little rant post set aside.